Scrappy Jessi's Holiday Cookie Swap: Eggnog Cookies

12/12/08 - Edited to add... Ugh! I thought this was posted late (Thank you Joanna for saving me! I thought the swap was on Saturday, not today! YIKES!) but it turns out it's even later than I thought! I have been posting all week, but everything has been going into my "draft" bucket instead of publishing! Anyone else having issues with Blogger?



Today is the day - Scrappy Jessi's 2nd Annual Cookie Swap! Be sure to check out her blog and view the list of other participants. I've had such a great time trying out all of the recipes from last year - they're delish! I'm sure this year will be even better (oh my growing thighs)! Last year I shared my recipe for Linzer Cookies, this year it's something even easier! Eggnog Cookies!
And... here it is! One of my favorite holiday cookies to bake are Eggnog Cookies. Steve loves eggnog, and I don't. So, this is my way of getting "my share" of the bounty in!I love cookies that are a bit unusual. So, if we have an ingredient in the pantry or fridge and it’s in danger of going “bad” I’m definitely one to try and find a way to use it up. This is a perfect way to use up eggnog before it goes bad. LOVE it and it freezes brilliantly! I often double the recipe (sometimes triple!) so that I can freeze the dough for later. I so love to make these easy cookies!

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/4 cups white sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup eggnog
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cream sugar and butter until light. Add eggnog, vanilla, and egg yolks; beat at medium speed with mixer until smooth. Add flour mixture and beat at low speed until just combined. Do not over mix. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto un-greased cookie sheet 1 inch apart. Sprinkle lightly with nutmeg. Bake 15 to 17 minutes until bottoms turn light brown.
NOTES: Try making an eggnog frosting using powdered sugar, eggnog and a pinch of cinnamon. I dyed the frosting bright yellow to make them a bit more eggnoggy. If you do this, be sure to refrigerate the cookies as the milk may go bad!Another fun addition is to add mini-chocolate chips to the dough. It’s a fun different twist!

No comments: